"Now Meg walked slowly around the great table to where Mrs Whatsit was still poised between the columns." A seemingly pointless sentence. I glance over at my bookmark on the table. The High Priestess from the Rider-Waite Tarot deck. On the card was a woman between two columns. Like Mrs Whatsit. What a funny coincidence, I thought, not realising the meaning of that card.
After a little reasearch, I found a few more connections. The High Priestess represents a wise but mysterious woman. She has the knowledge that you need, but that doesn't meen she can give it to you. Mrs whatsit knows about the Black thing and fighting it, but she seems unable to tell the children about it. She is very mysterious, and never quite clear with what she is saying. the High Priestess also indicates thet you will learnn something very strange, and I'm not sure that I know anyone who would classify the 'tesseract' as normal.
But is Meg had to be a Tarot card, there is no doubt that she would be the fool. The fool not only means foolishness (of course), but also the begining of a journey. megs journey is complicated and long, but she wont give up. her task is to find her father, but she is so passionate about this that she is blind to everything else, like the possibility that her father isn't omnipotent like she thinks. this makes her naïve and foolish.
To conclude, characters in "a Wrinkle in Time" can be related to the tarot cards, not only the pictures, but the meanings too. from the fool meg, to the high priestess Mrs Whatsit.


This is so interesting and thought provoking, Ben! Nice job looking for bigger-picture symbolism!
ReplyDelete