as with all of my blog posts, this may be a SPOILER
We've all had an experience like this: when we know that we can do something,but when we attempt it, we cannot do it at all. For example, today in band, I looked at the new song that we got, a West Side Story compilation, and thought to myself, 'wow, this is going to be an easy song.' only, when I started playing it, I totally messed up. I seriously underestimated the difficulty of the song.
I am currently reading The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. Liesel, the main character is still learning how to read. When the teacher says that there is a reading test, she tests everyone but Liesel. Liesel, out of pride, decides to read in front of he class anyway, which gets her in trouble.
I think that this really shows something about people, and about pride. Proud people will do things, foolish things, without really thinking about the results first. This always ends badly. I guess what I am trying to say is to think before you do something, or it may turn out badly. I think that most of the worlds problems could have been avoided if people did this.
But then again, maybe it's good that Liesel did this. It all lead to her beating someone up and gaining respect from that. Had Liesel not done that, fellow students would have kept teasing her about her inability to read, maybe eventually leading to bullying. It can be important to do things like this sometimes, but none the less, think them over first. In the end, it's all up to you.

i like how you talked about people. about thinking things over twice. and your own inpirience helped too.and i like your last entence "in the end its all up to you". it showed us about humans and rights and how we can choose to make our path full of problems or calm and easy. good job.
ReplyDeleteyou bring up points that i will always find interesting:
ReplyDelete"Proud people will do things, foolish things, without really thinking about the results first"
^how deeply should we think about the results, before we react, do you think?
Your post reminds me of one i wrote, and unearths the question,should we think really hard about a decision before making it, or live on impulse? I wrote explaining that i always think way too much about something and psychoanalyze it- but then the moment passes and my decision doesn't even matter anymore.
i love how you comment on society problems, and it feels like you really dig deep into the book and write about things that wouldn't be noticed by everyone. Your posts always leave me thinking.
-ferny
ps-love the tittle, and it is relevent to the post! love jane austin-pride and prejeduce is classic, even if it is foolish.
i LOVE this book and definitely want to hear what you thought about it when you finish it!
ReplyDeletevery good post ben! THINK BEFORE YOU DO SOMETHING! very important:)
ReplyDelete